Caerhays Castle overlooks Porthluney Cove, near Mevagissy and it is four miles south east of Tregoney. The castle and its grounds enjoy a well sheltered spot protected from the worst winds.
Caerhays Castle appears to be another Norman stronghold but it was actually built in 1808 for the Trevanion family and is one of the few remaining examples of a Nash built castle. Years of prestigious living and extravagant lifestyle together with building and architects bills incurred massive debts for the Trevanion family and they fled to Paris leaving Caerhays Castle to the elements for 13 years. In 1853 Caerhays was purchased by Michael Williams a Cornish Member of Parliament who extensively repaired and renovated the property. It has been suggested that the round dining room at one time resembled a pond with ducks swimming on it.
At Caerhays Castle there is a fine example of a Porte Cochere outside the front door (an enclosed area used by people when alighting from their carriages). An impressive staircase, a grand Front Hall and a Gallery demonstrate the work of Nash who was also responsible for the county gaols at Hereford, Carmarthen and Cardigan.
60 acres of woodland and garden surround Caerhays Castle and many of the plants and shrubs originate from plant gathering trips to China made by John Charles Williams. The gardens at Caerhays are well known for their collections of magnolias, camellias, oaks and rhododendrons and there are several planned routes that take visitors around the area.
Admission Charges for 2004*
|a. Standard entry rates for individuals:-|
|£2.50 Children under 16 Children under 5 free|
|House – conducted tour only||£5.50|
|Gardens & House combined||£9.50 Adult|
|£3.50 Children under 16 Children under 5 free|
|b. Group rates (minimum 15 persons)|
|Gardens with conducted tour||£6.50|
|Gardens without conducted tour||£4.00|
|House (conducted tour only)||£5.00|
|c. Charity admission (gardens only)|
* Confim prices before arrival.